Thursday, November 15, 2012

Milkis



I would like to preface this with a statement. I never meant to start another blog. I wanted to study for classes, and pass my exams. But then this store moved in down the street.
 
This jerk.

It is a Korean convenience store, with a pretty decent selection of ramen and an Amazing spread of sodas.
And interesting sodas are my weakness. And this dang store is going to take all on my money.  So this a blog to document my journey trying every single one of these sodas. Let's begin shall we.

Background

Every journey has to have a jumping off point, and I have chosen Milkis as mine. Milkis is a Korean soda that was released in 1989. It is labeled as a "Milk and Yogurt soda" with the hilariously translated slogan "New Feeling of Soda Beverage".

Now this sounds disgusting. And when I try to get people to taste is they usually recoil in horror. But let the record state. While it sounds gross, Milkis is really a nectar of the gods.

Appearance

Hur, hur. "Milk piss"
The Milkis can is slightly smaller in radius and taller than normal cans. It has a nice whimsical design on it. One side of the can is in english, one side is inexplicably in french. No, I'm not sure why.

The man has a tennis racket. I don't know why that is either.

The soda itself is a cloudy white. 

Appearance/Packaging Score

 4/10- While cute, not particularly interesting. Loses points for metal can.

Taste

The first thing you notice about Milkis is how it feels. The carbonation is rather harsh. It's not exactly painful, but not exactly pleasant either. The mouth feel is more acidic the colder the drink is, too. Personally, though, I like a soda with a little bite. My personal philosophy, if it doesn't hurt, it's not worth it. Then that subsides, and it is just glorious. It's hard to describe Milkis. It is in no way fruity. It's not punch you in the face sweet. It is also not obviously milk flavored. I think the best way to describe it would be a very light airy frozen yogurt. Like a frozen yogurt, melted mousse. Yeah. And it's awesome. But really, the best part of Milkis for me is the aftertaste. It doesn't stick around in your mouth like an unwanted guest. It doesn't get expressly sickly sweet. It just kind of fades out with a final whisper of flavor, leaving you satisfied.

Taste Score 

9/10 Awesome, amazing, satisfying to the last drop. 

Maybe I'm biased, because I go out of my way to find and consume Milkis, but I still highly recommend it.
 Next week I'll try something new. 




Edit: I tried Strawberry Milkis and Melon Milkis. I don't feel they're different enough to warrant entirely new review so I'll just stick this here.
Strawberry Milkis is excellent. It has a very round, creamy strawberry taste. I would recommend it, though I prefer plain.
Melon Milkis is gross. Tastes like Banana. I would not recommend it though it might be personal preference.



No comments:

Post a Comment