Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chilsung Cider

Chilsung Cider is a Korean drink. It was introduced in 1950. It is not a cider in the typical pressed apple American understanding of cider. It's really a lemon lime soda.

Appearance

I'm growing really fond of these long skinny cans. They just feel better to hold. The can is bright and cheery and has stars and limes and I don't really like it. For some inexplicable reason it reminds me of a beer can one might drink if they were a cartoon character. Or maybe if they were a hipster.
Am I the only one who sees the beer?


I have to admit though, my eye was immediately drawn to the can on the shelf, so I guess it's doing it's job.

Appearance Score

5/10 Ugly but drawing.

Taste

I was really optimistic about Chilsung Cider. I thought Korea might go somewhere interesting and bold and delicious with the fairly mundane fair that is lemon-lime soda. Childsung Cider heard that hope and spit on my tongue with a resounding "NO". The first flavors are a slightly more bitter lime, which could be good if they did it well. It's like the Cider is Limonata's little brother, and is trying really hard to emulate him, but not really getting it.

P.s. Limonata is delicious. You should totally go drink a can.

The carbonation is rough, large, and harsh and quickly bloated me with far to much air. I felt like Charlie post-fizzy-lifting-drink. And then after you wade through a clumsy attempt at interesting, and unpleasant carbonation, the flavor resolves to a sticky, gross, high fructose corn syrup aftertaste.
 So, all around, a pretty crappy version of Sprite. And I hate sprite. Seriously, skip this one and go drink a Limonata instead. 

Taste Score

2/10 would not drink again.

6 comments:

  1. You are high on crack. Your writing is bad and you should feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one currently have one in front of me.
    Found a six pack at a whole sale place.
    Fell in love with it.
    And knowing that the whole sale place would more then likely not get it again, I bought their remaining two six packs.
    I love this soda, and recommend it.
    It's like a sharper sprite that goes down smooth.
    The lime flavor is apparent. gives you that slight sting associated with citrus.
    The after taste is a good one.
    Tangy, Fruity, with a lingering sweet that smoothly goes away.
    I would give it a solid 8 out of 10.
    If you see this drink, try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought 9 or 10 6-packs on clearance at my local grocery for $0.49 a pack. I was psyched.

      Delete
  3. I like it. Its sweet and has lime flavor. If you think this has a lot of carbonation try perry's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its better than sprite, less sugar and help you remove digestive air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other Niches for Affiliate Marketingblogs that go over the same topics? Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete